Thursday, December 10, 2015

old asia hands



Feel like my body is breaking a part, achy and stiff as I stumbling along the crusty walkways of central Saigon.   My legs mostly are a big problems but shortness of breath is a show stopper on some days but not always.  

The vision I have of myself trudging along is somewhat common of those vintage westerners who hang out in the Pham Ngu Lao area, half drunk until a suitable place is found to become fully drunk.
  
Though I haven't been  drinking, my condition will improve, consulted a doctor before leaving the states, shortness of breath is believed to be asthma, which I believe is also exaggerated by a medication the VA prescribed.  The leg thing, all my life I’ve had achy legs but the swollen thing is something new.   Went to FV Clinic here: diagnoses of a mildly venous of the popliteal veins and mildly edema of subcutaneous feet, whatever that means.  The doctor had limited English skills but it didn’t sound life threatening so I’m still here. 

However, it brings the point of health coverage for guys like us.  If you’re over 65 health insurance is expensive here and I mean expensive like hundreds of dollars a month.   Western style health care with no insurance can  also be expensive,  as an example my trip to the FV Clinic cost me, including an ultrasound, doctors consultation, medical devices, etc came to a little over $200.00 and I'm not fixed.

Which brings me back to the old guys drinking the rest of their life away on that alley off of Pham Ngu Lao Street or in 9-23 parks.   Many are Vets, some of the war here and others are guys who just feel through the cracks.  One I know is here because his monthly $600.00 SS check is not enough to live on in the states; he is a Vietnam era Marine Vet. I asked him once what he did for health care because he said he had a stroke, his reply is that he had made friends with a Vietnamese pharmacist   and that was getting him by.  Sad that his life had come to that.

So here I am, kinda stuck in Saigon though it is hot here it isn’t cold or snowing.  I’ve read about sailors who pull into a port and get themselves stuck there, I can understand it now. Nothing holding me back accept me.. So now I’ll try my best to overcome my issues and head out.

Until next time, thanks for stopping by.          Doug


  

No comments: